Thousands of years before modern medicine provided scientific evidence for the mind-body connection, the sages of India developed Ayurveda, which continues to be one of the world’s most sophisticated and powerful mind-body health systems.
More than a mere system of treating illness, Ayurveda is a science of life (Ayur = life, Veda = science or knowledge). It offers a body of wisdom designed to help people stay vibrant and healthy while realizing their full human potential.
By Deepak Chopra.
Prepared in a vast range of methods, Ayurvedic herbs can be taken internally - in powders, tablets, teas, and jams, as well as topically - in soaps, massage oils, and pastes. Ayurvedic herbs are traditionally used to treat internal imbalances, handle seasonal or life changes, and maintain life-long health. Both single Ayurvedic herbs and synergistic formulas can be used to support, cleanse, or balance the systems, tissues, or organs of the body including:
- Digestion and Metabolism
- Mind, memory, and sleep
- Skin and hair
- Blood and liver
- Heart, brain, lungs, and reproductive organs
- Muscles, bones, and joints
Ayurvedic herbs are used according to their subtle qualities and their ultimate internal effect. Traditional Ayurvedic herbs work optimally when taken according to your individual constitution, your current state of health, age, and season.
One such miracle herb is Tulsi or Holy basil. It is considered a sacred plant by the Hindus and is often planted around Hindu shrines. Holy basil is commonly used to help with anxiety and stress. Chemicals in holy basil are thought to decrease pain and swelling (inflammation). Other chemicals might lower blood sugar in people with diabetes.
There is interest in using holy basil seed oil for cancer. Early research suggests that oil can slow progression and improve survival rate in animals with certain types of cancer.
Below are some of the benefits of Holy basil although there is not much evidence to it.
- Dental plaque. Some research shows that using a mouthwash containing 4% holy basil leaf extract twice daily reduces plaque and gingivitis better than saline solution.
- Diabetes. Some early research suggests that a holy basil leaf extract might decrease blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes.
- Stress. Early research shows that taking holy basil extract by mouth in the morning and at night decreases symptoms of stress, including forgetfulness, sexual problems, exhaustion, and sleep problems.
- Common cold.
- Influenza ("the flu").
- Stomach upset.
- Heart disease.